Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Post script to Essence of Australia

You remember last time, I was showing you the process of making my quilt, Essence of Australia?  Well, it turns out that those iconic words by Dorothea Mackellar are still in copyright.  Thanks to Brenda who alerted me to the fact.  I sent an email off to request permission and quite quickly I heard back - as follows:

"I’ve heard from the executors, one of whom is a quilter herself.  They think you’ve done a lovely job and, as the sale is for a good cause, are happy for this to proceed without charge. 

We usually ask for some type of acknowledgment to be included (such as on a tag), however, we do understand if this isn’t possible.  The standard acknowledgment is By arrangement with the Licensor, The Dorothea Mackellar Estate, c/- Curtis Brown (Aust) Pty Ltd."

So, I've updated my post to include the acknowledgement and will see if SAQA can include something with my quilt.  Life is interesting!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate...

    Your ESSENCE OF AUSTRALIA quilt will be coming to Canada - Kingston, ON as a matter of fact... Love that I will be able to add this amazing story piece and your beautiful work to my art collection. Have been following it's story!
    Bethany Garner
    SAQA Central Canada Representative...

    ReplyDelete